[Mailman-Developers] Thinking about Gmane

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Sat Jul 30 03:09:20 EDT 2016

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > Lars seems to say that it's more likely that the NNTP/SMTP bridge
 > will survive, but not the web ui.

I would expect this, since NNTP and SMTP both have independent
clients.  But the Web UI *is* the client (not the browsers, which are
"thin" clients).  That means that supporting a web UI requires a lot
of development resources to respond to the slings and arrows of
outrageous (and outraged) users.

 > Wouldn't it be cool if HK could serve as a modern version of a web
 > ui to the Gmane treasure trove?

I think the first thing to do would be to compare the HK UI and
Gmane's UI, and see if there are any features of Gmane we can and
should adopt.

Steve