[Mailman-Developers] Dropping Persona

f at florianfuchs.com f at florianfuchs.com
Fri Jan 29 15:06:27 EST 2016

On 2016-01-29 18:50, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Simon Hanna writes:
>
>  > I propose using the django authentication system by default and
>  > making it easy for people to add other authentication methods.
>
> I think we should provide social auth (OAuth2 or whatever Google and
> Yahoo! do) by default.  At least as I recall the discussion at the
> sprints a couple years ago, we picked Persona because a Mozilla person
> gave us a lot of help with the implementation, but we really wanted
> social auth because users demand it and because it allows us to get
> out of the business of storing and securing passwords.

I can only speak for me, but I liked Persona because it allowed
people/email providers to implement their own backends, giving them a
real possibility to handle the authentication themselves with Persona
merely being a technology or a broker. Also the fact that Mozilla is a
Non-Profit which doesn't aim at making money from user data. Which is
why I would rather make the local option the default, but give site
admins everything they need to integrate OAuth(2) using Gmail, Yahoo,
Twitter or else.

Florian