[Mailman-Developers] Dropping Persona

f at florianfuchs.com f at florianfuchs.com
Fri Jan 29 14:59:09 EST 2016

On 2016-01-29 16:00, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> From a UX perspective, I do want to allow people to log into their
> accounts
> using any of their registered and validated email addresses.  People
> very
> often forget just which address is subscribed to which mailing list, so
> it
> really shouldn't matter which one they use to get into their account.

We should check out which external app allows for multiple emails to be
set. Or which ones allows for easy customization to do so at least.

> Further, I have a strong personal preference for "no user names", or
> alternatively, using email addresses as their "user name".  I think
> user names
> are essentially contrived extra information for which there's no need,
> when
> clearly your identity is your email address.  I liked this about
> Persona.

I agree, especially since even though we now have HyperKitty, there will
probably always be many folks whose interface of choice for Mailman is
email, and who will not use the interface very often. Remembering
usernames for sites you last visited 20 months ago is awful.

>> We still have time for the transition, but I'd prefer dropping persona
>> before
>> the 3.1 release if that happens to come before the shutdown.
>
> The big feature for 3.1 from the core's perspective is reliable
> upgrades from
> MM2.1.  I know that Aurelien has been working hard on that, and that
> there's
> still one MR to deal with (#32), but I am thinking out loud that if not
> before, the Pycon 2016 sprints would be a good time to release 3.1.

If we can't make the transition into 3.1, we're going to make another
release before November, since that's when Persona is getting shut down
for good. So I'd say it's a good idea to at least try to get it into
3.1.

Cheers
Florian