[Mailman-Developers] a suggestion

Nicholas Barnett nickbarnett at onetel.com
Wed Feb 3 12:57:20 EST 2016

Dear Mail men (wait a minute, wait a minute  ---  oh no, that was Post
Man, wasn't it),

We have over 480 email lists, and about 60,000 members. Many members
of the organisation are members of more than one list. If one posts to
two lists, other members reading the post will be divided into three,
those in list A, in list B, in both.

If someone in both reply to it and create a thread, well, it becomes
very tangled as B people don't see A messages and vice versa, but
sometimes they see messages from AB people responding to stuff they
haven't seen. B-listers may respond along the lines of a response
already made on list A. Confusing!

I apologise if this has been brought up before, but I couldn't find it.

One of our 60,000 has proposed that the original poster should post to
the two lists in two separate emails, but could there be an option for
each list moderator to select whereby if one addressee of a post is a
list, then other addressees may not be? It would be bounced! (And the
option should be the default, of course, so you'd need to opt out to
allow multiple lists as addressees, and create tangled threads)?

Yours sincerely
Nicholas Barnett