[Mailman-Developers] Postorius and verified email addresses

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Sun Apr 10 17:06:24 EDT 2016

On 2016-04-06 4:29 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Apr 07, 2016, at 12:26 AM, Simon Hanna wrote:
>
>> Short version: it supports both external (social) and internal (django) auth
>> systems and offers options to combine/switch between them . Allauth provides
>> Signals that I used to verify the addresses in Mailman.
>
> I think we have to decide how and where addresses will be verified.  Are they
> going to be via confirmations emailed by core or via Postorius?
>
> I think the core has to support emailed confirmation messages because
> Postorius is technically an optional component.  So if a site were to build
> their own REST front-end, they'd at least want to allow the core to handle
> email verifications without having to build that into their front-end.

I'd prefer core to do it, so that it's consistent regardless of
front-end and there isn't duplicated work in every single web component
for Mailman, which is one of the reasons I haven't reviewed any of the
proposed Postorius code to do this.  (The other big one being that I
need to do some research on auth libraries, because past experience has
told me that I rarely agree with Simon. ;)  )

  Terri