[Mailman-Developers] Let's try to package mailman3 in Debian!

Pierre-Elliott Bécue becue at crans.org
Mon Sep 14 16:05:02 CEST 2015

On ven. 11 sept. 2015 à 15:49:48, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Simon Hanna writes:
>
>  > Actually mailman-core is fully functional all alone.
>
> That's not really true.  Sure, you can telnet to the REST port and
> speak REST by hand, but that's hardly pleasant.  At a minimum, you
> need mailmanclient.  (There will be alternatives, there was a GSoC
> project to provide a client that integrates with Node.js.  But at the
> moment that's not production-ready.)
>
> Also, all this talk may be somewhat premature, as at present there's
> no authentication in the REST protocol, so everything needs to be on
> the same host.   Andrew Stuart's authenticating proxy will help with
> that, but AFAIK it's not integrated yet.  It may be worth waiting for
> that (and/or Mailman 3.1 with the migration story) before doing betas
> of the Debian package(s).

Good afternoon (UTC+0200),

Thanks for all your answers, I'm sorry not having answered earlier, but I
was having an Internet free weekend.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'll think about different sources
packages, except maybe for mailman-core plus client?

Stephen, I was considering that 3.1 would be a better one to release in
debian, but maybe starting before would be good to see how things would go.
As I said, I did not for now packaged any big project, and I'm not a Debian
Dev, so I might be slower than a well trained uploading DD.

If you think I'm wrong, I'm eager to wait, if not, maybe I should start
slowly and try understand all dependencies and create a good bunch of
sources packages so that we'll be able to go faster when 3.1 is out.

Thanks, and cheers,

--
PEB