[Mailman-Developers] Let's try to package mailman3 in Debian!

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Fri Sep 11 16:04:53 CEST 2015

On Sep 11, 2015, at 12:49 AM, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:

>As a Debian fanboy and also a mailman addict, I'd like to try packaging it
>in Debian.

Excellent!  Do check wnpp to make sure there's not already an ITP for Mailman
3.  Note too that there is already a Mailman 2 package, so you might want to
contact the pkg-mailman-hackers at lists.alioth.debian.org mailing list.

>It seems that if I want to have a good source package, I need 5 repos :
>
> - Mailman
> - HyperKitty
> - Postorius
> - HyperKitty - MailMan Plugin
> - MailmanClient
>
>My first question is "Am I right?". And the second one is whould I consider
>looking into mailman-suite-doc and also have it in the source package?

Yes, those are a good start.  I'm in the "separate source packages" camp for
each component.  Since each upstream does separate tarball releases, separate
source packages make the most sense, IMHO.  Definitely for core and client.
You'll probably want to use 'mailman3-' as a prefix for the source packages,
e.g. mailman3-core, mailman3-client, etc.

You'll probably want to talk to some Debian Django developers on the best way
to package Postorius and HK.

mailman-suite-doc doesn't have anything in it right now.

Cheers,