[Mailman-Developers] Let's try to package mailman3 in Debian!

Simon Hanna simon.hanna at serve-me.info
Fri Sep 11 04:43:20 CEST 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 11:26:44AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Pierre-Elliott Bécue writes:
>
>  > It seems that if I want to have a good source package, I need 5 repos :
>  >
>  >  - Mailman
>  >  - HyperKitty
>  >  - Postorius
>  >  - HyperKitty - MailMan Plugin
>  >  - MailmanClient
>
> In the spirit of the refactoring, I would say mailman-core (mailman +
> mailmanclient), hyperkitty, and postorious should be three separate
> packages in Debian.  Exactly which repos are needed, I'm not sure.
Actually mailman-core is fully functional all alone.
- I would make a mailman-core package, everything depends on that
- mailmanclient would be a package providing the python bindings
- postorius would be a package depending on mailman-core and mailmanclient
- hyperkitty would be a package depending on mailman-core and mailmanclient, it should also inlcude
the hyperkitty mailman plugin
- mailman-deploy (or some other name) would contain a django skeleton project. It would have
	optional dependencies on postorius and hyperkitty.
- mailman-suite would depend on all of the packages

>  > On another way, I also see that there is a standalone postorius repo and
>  > also some django project files for HyperKitty in another one. I have the
>  > impression it is more designed for people to work on as standalone -
>  > forkable projects for other features, and so I wouldn't need them in a
>  > Debian package.
>
> No, IIRC these are variants which don't need a separate webserver such
> as Apache (convenient for testing), but they're still closely tied to
> mailman core and mailmanclient.

All django projects can be run without a separate webserver. However, this should _not_ be used in
production enviornments.

I am deploying several django projects using nginx and uwsgi, works like a charm.
I would either link to or provide documentation about different options for deploying django
projects. Anything applicable to django is applicable to postorius and hyperkitty

Since postorius and hyperkitty are django apps,
you are going to need a django project to deploy them.
The *_standalone repositories are such projects to deploy postorius or hyperkitty.
In a production environment you would probably want to have both in one django project.

I would provide a skeleton with comments about what options need to be changed to get to a sane
production system.

I am currently working on writing such a project skeleton that would be able to deploy postorius or
hyperkitty or both. I will publish a repo on gitlab when it's functional