[Mailman-Developers] [gpg] encrypted list management plug-in

efkin efkin at cooperativa.cat
Tue Nov 10 18:29:07 EST 2015

hi devs!

from calafou hacklab & friends we wanted to reimplement schleuder in
python. speaking and speaking we arrived at the conclusion that maybe
writing a plug-in for Mailman 3 could be a good solution: we contribute
to a great project and we have encrypt mailing list for hacktivist people.

first and obvious question: is there already an ongoing effort to
achieve gpg encryption that we could join?

if not:

we thought this plug-in as a milter (mail filter) with added features
for executing commands.

after reading your Core docs, things are little bit more complicated:
1. the preprocess (and maybe postprocess?) of the messages could be done
by what you call `chains` and `pipelines`
2. the command system could be implemented extending the already
existing Mailman command system (`echo` and `end`).
3. it is just not clear how to prompt if encripton is desired in your
ecosystem.

our questions are maybe:

* is there a plug-in way to tackle this problem?
* do we really need to submit a merge request to the core instead of
doing an optional debian package?
* are we totally on the wrong way? :)

thx for the support!
best wishes!