[Mailman-Developers] Common use case archiving via configuration

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Wed Mar 25 05:19:56 CET 2015

Agreed Stephen.

It would be good if only configuration was required to drive the archivers even though they are only examples/provisional/contrib whatever.

I’m hoping that projects like Hyperkitty and my server won’t need installers to touch the Mailman source code at all to get data flowing from Mailman.

Once you understand archivers they’re pretty easy but to newbies I suspect they are pretty intimidating to grasp.

What does "batteries included" mean in this context?

as

On 25 Mar 2015, at 3:07 pm, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

Barry Warsaw writes:

> These [example? archivers] are all pretty interesting.  We'd have
> to think about whether we'd want some, any, or all them in the main
> tree, which essentially means we're committing to supporting them.
>
> Alternatively, we can create a contrib directory or repo

Batteries included, please!

A nice option would be that in the admin interface, the admin could
tick a box saying "show me contrib archivers" and then tick and
configure the appropriate one.  The instructions for contrib
configurations would say that Mailman is not committed to supporting
these but we'll help as time permits (and we always have time to
review patches -- a lie, but with good intent <wink />).