[Mailman-Developers] Query regarding plugin integration with mailman3

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 8 23:13:12 CET 2015

Aanand Shekhar Roy writes:

 > I am extremely sorry for behaving stupidly.

You're not stupid, and your behavior is not stupid, unless you fail to
learn from it.  You are just being too focused on what you want to do,
and not listening carefully enough to the people who actually set the
requirements.  (And it's not the people ask if they would like the
feature, although they do matter.)

That's where GSoC is most valuable.  In school, unless you are lucky,
your teachers are too busy with many students, and they either give
you an assignment that is like a test, that has a "right" answer (and
then your job is very simple: find it!), or they give you a very open
assignment and you can do what you like, as long as it works.  GSoC
doesn't work that way.  It's far more like the real world -- in fact,
it *is* the real world of volunteer projects.  You need to address a
problem that the people who are deciding who to mentor want solved.

Note that the list of such problems is *very* long, in fact, and a lot
of them we don't know about yet.  There's plenty of room for your
ideas and creativity.  The harder constraint is finding something that
takes about one summer to do.  The problems you're looking at so far
don't seem to hit that sweet spot as far as I can see.  Maybe another
mentor will have a different opinion.  However, we're overwhelmed with
the response this year (and I'm also likely to be asked to evaluate
proposals and possibly mentor for Systers, as a Mailman branch is a
central part of their infrastructure).