[Mailman-Developers] Approach for Auto moderation system

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 15:05:57 CET 2015

On Sunday 08 March 2015 09:50 AM, Aanand Shekhar Roy wrote:
>> One concern here is that "Thread" is a fragile term in email. Unless you
>> are planning on some form of message body analysis to group messages
>> together, you are going to need to rely on the In-Reply-To and
>> References headers of the incoming email, which can have its
>> difficulties. If you are going to thread by something else, like the
>> subject, you may find people making minor changes in the subject to
>> bypass the moderation.
>
> Yes, I agree ,but having a system that curbs this problem will not again
> be a very good solution, for eg. A thread regarding discussion on mailman2
> can have the name of the thread "Mailman 2", and for mailman3, the thread
> will be named as "Mailman 3". Now ,it can also appear that someone has
> made a minor change to avoid moderation but it is not so.

Yes, exactly! So what do you think would be a solution to the problem
Richard mentioned? You cannot simply say that we are are not going to
use any such system since there are drawbacks of it.

We need a clear definition of what you mean by a "thread". What type of
message would be a part of a thread and which all would be not? Is this
kind of auto moderation system just based on subject lines and headers
even reliable?

I would ask you to dig through standards and implementations in MUAs
about how threads are actually created. And then answer the questions above.

>> First, these headers are optional, and some mail agents may not generate
>> them, and more importantly, the subscriber can bypass this linking by
>> creating a reply as a "new message" thus bypassing the auto moderation.
>
> Since I wish to implement this system as a plug-in it will be optional for
> the list admins and having an MTA that generates headers can be kept as a
> requirement.

It isn't a good idea to impose a restriction on MTA to use a plugin.
Even this very email of yours was not listed under the same thread in my
MUA (thunderbird) for some reason I don't know.

>> Second, there is an unreliability in these headers as they will not
>> necessarily reference the "start" of the thread, but may only list
>> messages later in the thread, and to get your "Thread Name", you are
>> going to have to keep a full history (for some period back) of messages
>> and what thread you determined them to be in to figure out what thread
>> this message is in.
>
> What we can do is to remove general keywords like "Re:[ ]" and "Fwd:[ ]"
> from the thread and then add to the database, so we don't need to store
> all the history, just information about last one does the job, we check
> that through Table1.

How do you know where does the thread started from the information in
your table?

>> This means that any system that ties to limit the rate "in thread" must
>> also have a similar (but perhaps different value) limit on total
>> postings or creation of new threads.
>
> We do not aim at limiting threads or posts on a thread we are just slowing
> it down to provide room to other users. If we decrease no of posts on a
> thread it might affect the discussion going on as some threads are very
> long and also important and can't be shortened.

I don't understand the use case of "slowing" down the delivery of emails
at all. Why would someone want his email to be sent to the list a later
time? What does "provide room to other users" mean in this context? How
is one person sending a lot of mails stop others from doing the same?

--
thanks,
Abhilash