[Mailman-Developers] MIME footers

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Mar 1 14:18:28 CET 2015

Daniel Kahn Gillmor writes:

 > I'd bet the number of users of non-MIME-aware text-only MUAs receiving
 > mail from mailman that are incapable of wading through a bit of extra
 > MIME boundary info on otherwise text/plain messages is vanishingly
 > small.

Not vanishing.  I'll add my testimony to Mark's that we see complaints
related to added MIME parts (mostly from people who read the text/html
alternative when it is kept, I think, but there are some people still
using broken old MUAs, and the real hurt is when somebody's boss's MUA
doesn't display the legal BS at the bottom -- neither the boss nor his
lawyers are interested in "but we can't do anything about broken MUAs").

 > Most of those folks are probably at least used to seeing it as a
 > result of the overwhelming predominance of multipart/alternative on
 > today's SMTP network.

For some reason, no, that doesn't seem to be the case.