[Mailman-Developers] Merging users

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 16:33:05 CEST 2015

Hi Eric,

On 21 July 2015 at 23:31, Eric Searcy <eric at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On 7/21/15 9:39 AM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> > Hey devs!
> >
> > I'm hitting a problem when migrating from 2.1 to 3, but I think it's a
> > generic issue (or rather a missing feature) and I'd like to fix it.
> >
> > If I try to associate an existing address to an existing user (without
> > this address obviously), the Mailman API will reply with a 400 error
> > "User already exists". Postorius currently does not detect that and
> > just errors out with a 500 page (but that's not the issue here).
> >
> > I think I need to merge the two users, and that's currently not
> > supported. I believe it would be a useful feature, so I'd like to
> > discuss it here. IMHO, the only tricky part would be to merge the
> > preferences associated with each user, but if I know which of my two
> > users has priority, I can just resolve the conflicts that way.
> > Am I missing something? Do you agree it would be a useful feature to
> have?
>
> This is a generic issue for us too; not just migration-related.  I also
> would support consolidation/merging of Postorius users to solve this.
>
> In fact, there are a few inter-related blockers for us:
>
> a) authenticating as the wrong email address + attempt to add subscribed
> email as alternate (especially happens with social-type logins where
> correcting the authenticated email is a pain)

I don't get any error while adding an already existing user. However,  since
I don't have postfix setup, I can't verify the address from email. I can
however.
do it from the backend.

> b) cannot social-authenticate as an email address which is an alternate,
> not the primary

So, it is correct that you cannot social-authenticate to the same account
using an alternate address. I am thinking about how we can fix this.
However, this is not a very critical bug. Even if you login into two
seperate
Postorius accounts, the underlying MailmanUser is the same. You can
view your subscriptions from both the addresses in both the accounts.
Also, you can change subscriptions to other alternate addresses in both
the accounts.

> c) attempting to social-authenticate as an email address which exists
> but has no account ... at least I think this is what is described by
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius/+bug/1227461 (no matching gitlab bug)

I checked out this one it is no more a bug. I can login with person to an
address
that already exists and is not associated with any account.

However, note that I am using the master branch from source code.

--
thanks,
Abhilash Raj