[Mailman-Developers] Trying to get started developing Mailman

Thomas Storey storey.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 18:37:40 CEST 2015

Hello Mailman developers,

I am trying to get started developing Mailman but I am having difficulty
setting up a local development/test environment on my machine (Ubuntu 14.04
LTS). I used black-perl's lovely development bootstrap to set up my virtual
environments and initially install Mailman and postorious, but I can't seem
to get a mailing list to actually work!

I followed the excellent documentation at
http://mailman.readthedocs.org/en/latest/src/mailman/docs/MTA.html to
configure postfix and Mailman to talk to each other. I created a mailing
list called "testlist" through the postorious interface. I subscribed
myself and a testuser to the list, but sending mail via:

echo "test body text" | mail -s "test subject" testlist at augusta.net

simply results in a bounced email message in /var/mail/thomas (my user on
my machine).
augusta.net is the domain I specified during postfix configuration. Sending
mail like above to "testuser at augusta.net" works perfectly (mail appears in
/var/mail/testuser). The only reason I made it is because Mailman won't let
you make a list @localhost.

Does anyone have any advice for setting up a local-only mailing list
environment so I can test behavior as I poke around in the code? Ideally I
want to be able to just send emails via the command line to the local
Mailman instance and have Mailman send emails out to local users that are
subscribed to its lists.  I am stumped as to how to get this going, and I
feel like I must be fundamentally misunderstanding how things are supposed
to be done.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

-Thomas