[Mailman-Developers] Announcing the new wiki.list.org

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Jan 27 23:42:47 CET 2015

On Tuesday 27. January 2015 20.33.56 Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2015, at 11:27 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> >See <http://wiki.list.org/HelpOnThemes> to start. There may be something
> >in the ThemeMarket that's good, e.g. maybe
> ><https://moinmo.in/ThemeMarket/FixedLeft> with just a change in color
> >would be a lot closer to <http://www.list.org/> as a starting point.
>
> Ooo, purty pictures!  I like this one too.
>
> https://moinmo.in/ThemeMarket/Moniker

FixedLeft is a lot like the Mailman (and old Python) site; Moniker is pretty
much of the same heritage, I'd say, although they all probably descend from
the standard modern or modernized themes (which you can select in your
settings, of course).

The Europython theme is similar to the one on python.org, which follows the
"first redesign" Python site styling (if we consider the current Python site
as the "second redesign"), but with a cleaner look.

I should dig out a few of my own themes and put them on the theme market,
although they're not really applicable here (a MediaWiki-inspired theme
integrating with yet another abandoned site style, a Mercurial-site-inspired
theme, and a very minimal theme that serves as the basis for other, better
themes).

More importantly, I could provide some more sensible code and resources for
any new theme: the instructions on the Moin help page aren't really that
friendly. The most challenging part is actually the CSS: generating the HTML
in Moin is easy enough once you know the API and resist the temptation to emit
HTML strings (which admittedly does work as well), but the contributions of
the different CSS rules and how Moin uses them in various places is not
necessarily very transparent.

Paul