[Mailman-Developers] RELEASED: GNU Mailman (core) 3.0b5

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jan 7 01:28:11 CET 2015

Tanstaafl writes:

 > On 12/30/2014 2:39 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:
 > >  * "A" release, which remains on Python 2.7
 > >  * "B" release, which is only compatible with Python 3.4
 >
 > So, wheezy admins will be left out in the cold.

There may be free software, but There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free
Lunch, man!  People who depend on package managers take that risk.
This is especially true of the Debian "paleolithic" distribution.  You
want rock-like stability, you best be prepared to use Stone-Age tech.
Get out of your cave and kill yourself some sabertooth fur if you feel
a chill.  Yabba dabba doo! :-)

Note that I use Debian stable when possible myself, but I'm not a
"Debian stable admin", I'm an admin who chooses the best[1] distro for
the job, and that is usually Debian stable.  The point for me is that
it provides a very stable platform for locally-configured and -built
installations of mission-critical software that I'm willing to baby-
sit.  Over the occasional period I have to upgrade to testing; a very
few times I've had to pin versions of a few packages in testing.

One can also take on the packaging task oneself, or persuade the
packagers to do so.  Often it's not that hard to do the latter ...
they want the same things their users do (at least, that's usually
the case for packages in popular distros).  Really, you should be
lobbying Debian, not Mailman.

Footnotes:
[1]  Which includes considerations of my time for evaluation of "best"
and switching costs.