[Mailman-Developers] Python 3

Florian Fuchs flo.fuchs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 14:11:37 CET 2015

Am 06.01.2015 um 13:48 schrieb Barry Warsaw:
> On Jan 06, 2015, at 01:37 PM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
>
>> I must also consider how much work it would be to just port HyperKitty &
>> KittyStore to Python3.  All things considered, it may very well be faster and
>> more reliable.
>
> Of course, I encourage any porting to Python 3 just on principle :) and
> certainly if I can help, let me know.  But you may still want to consider a
> more distributed communication protocol between core and HK.  What if a site
> wanted to run them on different VMs for example?

Another thing we shouldn't forget is that Hyperkitty or Postorius might
not be the only apps living in a Django project. Some people might
choose to integrate them into their long-running Django sites, with lots
of Py2-app dependencies.

Of course it would be easier for us to just port our apps to Py3. But as
far as I remember integratability was the main argument in favor of
keeping our Django apps bilingual when we discussed the topic at Pycon
last year. But then, hey, one *could* also argue we ignore these issues
in order to make a point.

Florian