[Mailman-Developers] MM3 REST API testing [was: Python 3]

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Jan 6 04:37:02 CET 2015

On Jan 03, 2015, at 10:16 PM, Florian Fuchs wrote:

>I took a quick look at vcr and it really looks promising. Although
>apparently it doesn't support VHS, which is very sad. But we can still
>use it for testing I guess... :-)

:)

>That sounds fantastic! Do you think it might make sense to ship the
>traffic dump with mailman instead of mailman.client (and work the
>recording into the test suite somehow)? That way there would only be a
>single file to observe for changes in the REST API. Sure, a change in
>the yaml file  doesn't necessarily mean a change in the API (might as
>well be just an additional test case or different test data). But still,
>if the yaml file stays the same between commits, that would be a nice
>guarantee that the API stayed stable.

It's possible.  One reason I'm shipping it with mailman.client in my merge
proposal is because once it's generated, there's no second guessing in
mmclient about where the yaml file lives.  If we shipped it with core, you'd
have to have some way to tell mmclient where to find the yaml file, since
different developers may be working in completely different file system
locations of course.

But do let me know what you think about the approach in my mp.  I'm definitely
not opposed to moving it if it makes sense.

Of course we also talked about making mmclient an actual subpackage of core
and placing it in core's tree.  That wasn't very convenient at the time, but
maybe that's worth a revisit at some point.

Cheers,