[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2015: brainstorming ideas suitable for beginners?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Feb 24 21:20:19 CET 2015

On Feb 24, 2015, at 07:53 AM, Chris Nulk wrote:

>Also, I believe I remember a goal for Mailman v3 was to have one instance of
>Mailman be able to host lists for multiple domains.

Yes, but not on physically distinct hosts.  Or in other words, yes MM3
supports virtual domains

>Given that information
>and information from Andrew and Stephen, there are several different layers
>of "ownership".  Thinking about it a little, I see:
>
>"Owner"                    Description
>------------                    --------------------------
>List Owner                 can administer a list
>Server Owner            can administer all lists on one server (server may host multiple domains)
>Site Owner                can administer for all lists at a site (site has multiple servers) (site is a physical location)
>Domain Owner         can administer for all lists for a domain (domains may be hosted on multiple servers possibly across multiple sites)
>
>Note: if site is considered a physical location, then an additional owner
>permission may be "Host Owner" for all their sites at different locations

I think the distinction between server owner and site owner as described above
doesn't exist, or I don't quite understand the definitions.  Multiple servers
isn't a concept embodied in Mailman anywhere.  For example, if you were to run
a hosting provider and had clients at A.example.com and B.example.com, and
they ran distinct Mailman servers, the two wouldn't have any organizational or
administrative overlap, except at a higher level,
e.g. postmaster at HOSTING.example.com.  That's not something I see Mailman
having to represent in any useful way.

Cheers,