[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2015: brainstorming ideas suitable for beginners?

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Tue Feb 24 02:18:29 CET 2015

I am currently associating users, not addresses with these permissions, so your suggestion is compatible with my stuff.

site owner does sound more appropriate than server owner.

Everything else suggested sounds fine to me.

as

On 24 Feb 2015, at 11:42 am, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

On Feb 22, 2015, at 11:20 AM, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> there was an “application data” table:
>
> ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
> resource_type  |  resource_id   |   private/public  |  key   |    value
> ————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
> user
> list
> domain
> server
>
> and:
> the ability to set domainowner and serverowner permissions in 3.0,

No question, I think domain owner and server owner (or site owner) are
concepts that we should capture in the core.  I'd accept contributions for
this, so let me describe my thinking (open to suggestions!).

The first question is whether to associate addresses, users, or both with the
permissions.  If you look at the member table (Member model class) you'll see
we have a foreign key for both, but the logic ensure that we can't get
conflicting values.  This allows us to implement the "address as a member" or
the "user as a member using their preferred address".  I'm not sure whether we
need this level of complexity for the site and domain owners.

The other observation is that we'd like to make it easy for both owners two
have multiple contact addresses, so that we have fallbacks in case one of them
starts to fail.

So I'm thinking we use a User for this association.  The user would have to
have at least one validated address linked to it.

For domains, we already have a domain table (Domain model class).  Since we'd
like to be able to associate multiple domain owners, it seems like we need a
many-to-many table associating domains to users.  (More than one user can own
a domain, and any user can own more than one domain.)  That table probably
doesn't need anything else.

Since we have no site table/model, I think it would be enough to add a flag to
the user table/model to indicate whether they are a site owner or not.

Now sprinkle with tests, database migrations, documentation, and REST, and I
think you have at least this part solved.

Cheers,