[Mailman-Developers] Auth databases redux [was: GSoC 2015: brainstorming ... beginners?]

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Sun Feb 22 23:10:05 CET 2015

Yes that’s a reasonable line of thought Stephen. You are correct I haven’t made any attempt to integrate with enterprise auth systems. Also, I’ll avoid describing my auth server as ‘the auth server’.

Is there anything that would define what sort of functionality is required for enterprise integration?

The two things that I’ve suggested might be worth including in the core are hopefully of broad value and not specific only to what I’m doing. (rounding out the permissions,  with serverowner and domainowner, including an application data table that stores keys and values).

thanks

as

On 22 Feb 2015, at 9:36 pm, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

Andrew Stuart writes:

> the alternative for me is to go ahead with deploying application
> data and domainowner and serverowner into the auth server,

I disagree with the implicit assumption right there.  From Mailman's
point of view, this is *Andrew's* auth server, not *the* auth server.
If we're serious about serving the enterprise, we need to figure these
things out、because Mailman is going to need to plug into an existing
auth and user database system.

I don't know if we care any more, but enterprise integration used to
be a goal.  It's still a requirement of some of our most loyal users
(universities, who FAQ us about using their databases to populate
lists for classes etc every year).