[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC14] Full Anonymization Project Idea

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Feb 17 16:59:44 CET 2015

Rashi Karanpuria writes:

 >  Can't we keep our encryption application away from the site admins by
 > creating an interface between sender and the switchboard ,what I'm trying
 > to imply here is, can't we process the encryption before the mail goes to
 > switchboard or server for further processing.

Site admins (the people who install the software) have to have root
privileges.  Nothing can be hidden from them.  The only way to protect
your data from them is to send it encrypted with a key they don't
have.

But it's hard to imagine why you would use an anonymous list, or any
mailing list, hosted by people you don't trust enough to give them the
keys, to send mail to people you know and trust well enough to give
them those keys.  The basic motivation for encrypted lists is avoiding
the key distribution problem, either because it's annoying or because
the point of the list is that the subscribers are not to know each
other at all.