[Mailman-Developers] Building plug-ins for mailman.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Feb 17 05:24:48 CET 2015

Ian Eiloart writes:

 > I don’t think Exim can. Once it has the sender and recipient
 > addresses, it can either reject the email or ask to receive the
 > whole of the message: headers and body.

Indeed.  I didn't mean that you can always reject/discard without
receiving the message, but sometimes you can.  Furthermore, in the
case of normal deliveries, the MTA is almost always much quicker about
clearing its queue than Mailman can be.

 > It’s nice to be able to push spam checking further down the line,
 > because it’s possible that different lists might want different
 > configurations. For example, a health professionals’ list might
 > want to be more liberal about references to body parts, and a
 > finance professionals’ list might want to be more liberal about
 > references to unexpected inheritance!

SpamAssassin can handle that fine -- all needed information will be
available.  Note that if you handle such an exception at the MTA, you
have *one* exception to add, whereas if you handle it at the mailing
list, you have to add the rule to all mailing lists except the
unexceptional one.