[Mailman-Developers] Soliciting feedback on idea for rounding out the permissions model.

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Tue Feb 17 02:39:37 CET 2015

I’d be interested to hear what the Postorius/Hyperkitty folks think on the concept of more tangibly defining Mailman resource/user permissions.

Presumably Postorius and Hyperkitty somehow grant access to resources and store the permissions information externally?

Anyone got any thoughts?

as

On 17 Feb 2015, at 1:37 am, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

This looks like a reasonable analysis.

On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:39 AM, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> To implement, it would need to be possible to define as user as being a
> ‘serverowner’, and also to be able to define a user as being a ‘domainowner’
> for any given domain.

As you've noticed, we have IMember objects which encapsulate the list-centric
roles for users.  It's important to note though that this isn't quite complete
because it's possible for validated, non-user linked addresses to also be
subscribed to mailing lists, and then we have no trail back to a UUID.  I
think in normal operations though, this should be rare to nonexistent.

We have a natural place to hang user information on for domains, since we have
an IDomain interface (and a domain model/table).  In this case, I would
stipulate that only users can be associated with domains.  We'd probably need
to add a table to represent this relationship.

I don't know where to hang the siteowner information.  Maybe adding a column
to the user table?  It probably just needs to be a flag.

The alternative is to use some special list_id values in the member table to
denote a domain and the site, and then restrict the role to owner in both
cases.  I'm not sure I like this though.  It seems implicit rather than
explicit.

Are there any other permissions you can think of?

Cheers,