[Mailman-Developers] Building plug-ins for mailman.

Aanand Shekhar Roy 2013001 at iiitdmj.ac.in
Mon Feb 16 05:09:51 CET 2015

Subject: Re: [Mailman-Developers] Building plug-ins for mailman.
From:    "Aanand Shekhar Roy" <2013001 at iiitdmj.ac.in>
Date:    Mon, February 16, 2015 9:32 am
To:      2013165 at iiitdmj.ac.in
Hi everyone,

> * Aanand Shekhar Roy <2013001 at iiitdmj.ac.in>:
>> Hi all,
>> I am currently finding good plugin ideas that might make there way into
>> mailman 3 system.I had discussed the same with @terri on irc.Some ideas
>> have already found good are:
>> 1. DNS BlockList
>
> where would you put DNSBL support?
>
> On SMTP level? I'd let the MTA take care of it.
> On HTTP level? I'd let the HTTP take care of it.

1. I totally agree with you that DNSBL suits better in MTA, my interest on
bulding it as a plugin is for the reason that a user might want to block a
particular domain not because it is a spam but due to reasons better known
and genuine to him or her.To let let them do that with ease without
worrying about shell access and other complexities.

> Sorry, if I sound harsh. I don't mean it. I just can't imagine where DNSBL
> would make sense without reinventing something that has been done yet.
>

>> 3. SpamAsassin as it is
>
> I'd leave that to an MTA too, unless there's a non-SMTP way how mail
> enters
> mailman.
>
> p at rick

 Spamassasin is better placed in the MTA support and works quite more
effieciently but again for the ease of acces for some list admins who
want to keep there spam level threshold low or high according to their
needs may find it difficult to regulate it without an easy available
chunk in user interface.Also option for marking a domain spam (I am not
sure but as far as my knowledge about it is ,it isn't there yet in
mailman3) might be a good idea

> 2. Confirmation from user before posting phone nos in email
> --
> [*] sys4 AG

I am going through the archives of user-list to gain more insight on
this topic.This one by far sounds the most interesting.Also,as suggested
by Stephen J. Turnbull,i am thinking of extending it further to other
confidential
Thanks everyone for correcting me.I have also thought of a few more ideas,
reading about them before discussing them here.
Aiming towards more improvement in these ideas..