[Mailman-Developers] Support for X-No-Archive

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu Feb 12 00:31:19 CET 2015

This is probably a case of beating a dead horse after everyone switched to
automobiles, but nevertheless:

We had an occasion where some private information got forwarded to a
public mailing list and then got found by a search engine. Probably
happens all the time.
At least one of these messages had some boilerplate on the bottom saying
"may be confidential, do not forward" etc.

Computers are better than people at reading boilerplate. It would be nice
if there was some way to flag a message "do not archive", or even "do not
forward" so that a user would have to do something to override that.
I found "X-No-Archive" in wikipedia that was apparently honored by google
when archiving usenet.

In an ideal world hundreds of people would immediately agree that this was
an excellent idea, get an RFC written, and everyone would implement it by
next year. Not going to happen, I know.

I wondered if this had been done already somehow, or considered and shot
down, and how others handle the problem.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)