[Mailman-Developers] /opt vs traditional install [was: Mailman 3 production setup testbed]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Dec 12 03:13:20 EST 2015

Note: subject adjusted to reality.

Barry Warsaw writes:
 > On Dec 05, 2015, at 11:38 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 >
 > >So /opt/mailman looks really good to me.
 >
 > +1
 >
 > Distro packagers will probably make different decisions, but that's okay too.

Of course!  After all we don't have to deal with actually doing
it. ;-)  (Presented company *not* excepted IIRC?  I hope?!  Wouldn't
want to impose extra work on Our FLUFLous Leader!!!)

 > If there's anything in our configs that don't allow installation to
 > /opt/mailman and traditional locations, then that's a bug!

Indeed.  But surely it's not terribly hard to allow both kinds of
installation if we just avoid hard-coded references (including
relative references) to config and data files.