[Mailman-Developers] Improving the mailman-bundler flow for production environments

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Thu Aug 20 09:32:03 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I've been made aware several times that the mailman-bundler docs don't
work super well for folk who are focused on getting a production rather
than a development server up and running.  Now, I know we're hoping that
there will be distro packages and an easier path for this eventually
(please, if you're interested in doing some distro packaging, we need
help!) but I thought I'd take a stab at making it better even for people
going from source.

I've started a fork with my first thoughts here:

https://gitlab.com/terriko/mailman-bundler/blob/production-doc/README.rst

It includes:
- a new section "Development vs Production" with a note about the
expected workflow (development->test->production) and a pointer to the
production documentation (although I think my link is broken right now.
  My restructuredtext-fu is weak tonight and google didn't help.)
- Something more explicit in "Run the services" about how to run django
on something other than localhost.

Those were the two things that really stood out for me when I was
setting up a server this week, but I am certain they're not the only
places where we could be more clear.

So... I'd like some feedback!  What seems confusing about the doc?  What
concerns are there for production servers that we aren't addressing?

  Terri

PS - Don't worry, I will make a merge request when I fix the formatting
errors, but it's late and I wanted to get an email out before I go to bed