[Mailman-Developers] Why is postorius using python2?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Aug 4 05:21:56 CEST 2015

Simon Hanna writes:

 > I was astonished to find out that postorius still uses python2
 > although mailman made the switch to python3.

Why astonished?  Lots of applications and libraries are still Python
2-based.

 > Is there any reason behind this?

It's not always trivial to do a port, and the core developers have
other things to do (in particular, two of the core are org admins for
GSoC which takes up a lot of time).

 > I used 2to3 on the code and successfully executed the code.
 >
 > I executed the tests, and ran into some errors.
 > If this work is going to be included sometime,
 > I'm willing to investigate and try to fix these errors.

Please do.  There's no question that your work will be extremely
valuable.  Submit patches as you write them on the tracker.  Make sure
(a) something gets fixed (including new test that you write) and (b)
there are no regressions in the test suite before posting a pull
request.

But if you run into something head-breaking, get in touch with the
Postorius developers before spending very much effort on it -- it may
be as hard as it looks. :-)  (Post here and/or IRC, then try direct
email).