[Mailman-Developers] mailman 3.0 roadmap, feature-parity with mailman 2.x and documentation

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Apr 30 03:42:48 CEST 2015

On 04/29/2015 01:26 PM, Brian Carpenter wrote:

> Is there a recommended server environment to run Mailman 3?

It should install and run on any *nix server that supports both Python
2.7 and Python 3.0, an MTA capable of LMTP delivery to Mailman
(currently configurations for Postfix and Exim are provided) and a web
server compatible with Django.

We haven't tested all the possible combinations, and we've admittedly
been a moving target, but things should get better and if you try and
have issues, report them to this list or the appropriate (Mailman,
Postorius or HyperKitty) bug tracker on Launchpad, and we will both try
to help you through them and fix them.

Note, during the PyCon sprints, I did test installing and running
Mailman 3 along side a running Mailman 2.1.20+ on my Ubuntu 14.10
laptop. I did have to sort out some dependencies, but it worked with the
one caveat that if you have both a Mailman 2.1 list and a Mailman 3 list
with the exact same posting address, in our recommended setup at least,
Postfix will deliver a post only to the MM 3 list.

We understand we have a way to go, and it will be 3.1 before we get a
clean, tested migration path and little or no loss of feature/function
(the MM 3 core is based on an older 2.1 version), but we need people to
start using MM 3 now, if only in limited environments, or we're never
going to find the problem areas.

<plea>
This is a major project and we are fewer than a dozen main contributers
to its development, and we are all volunteers who do this for our own
personal reasons, but not for money (most of us have day jobs; I'm
fortunate enough to be retired). We need your involvement to make this
successful. We welcome your help.
</plea>