[Mailman-Developers] Regarding Csv Export for list owner in postorius

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Wed Apr 22 16:48:53 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:36:57AM -0400, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> Ashish, can you talk a little bit more about the current workflow that
> these folks are using (the ones in the scenario you suggested)? I'm used
> to seeing word processing and spreadsheet applications that can easily
> export to PDF. But maybe you know of a ton of people who need to create
> PDFs from list membership rosters, and right now that's a 10-step
> process for them (including "import into a Google doc, fiddle with
> headers, hit Export and tweak options x and y and z"), and you have an
> idea for how we can make that a 4-step process.

Google Sheets (or whatever they're called this week) support a couple
of functions that could hit the relevant API:

IMPORTDATA [for (c|t)sv]:       https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093335?hl=en

IMPORTHTML [for tables/lists]:  https://support.google.com/docs/answer/3093339?hl=en

Could either of those be an option (steer: user interface has PRODUCE
A SPREADSHEET/EXPORT TO GDOCS)?

> Here's a use case I ran into in December: I was editing a private
> document in Google Drive and wanted to share it with about 40 people,
> all of whom were on the same email thread as me. I ended up spending
> many tedious minutes copying and pasting email addresses into the
> "Share" dialog box in Google Drive. If I were a list owner for a
> community that used Google Drive, I bet this sort of need would crop up
> several times per year, and I'd wish there were an easy way for me to
> import that membership roster into a Google Drive permissions list.

Google Drive works extremely well with Google Groups… funny that. Part
of that is why for one of the things I do, we've migrated over to
Google Apps; for better integration / easier sharing.

--
"what was asked of the Director in this case was not a statement of
 prosecuting policy but a proleptic grant of immunity from prosecution.