[Mailman-Developers] mailman.client and UUIDs for user.user_id

Aurelien Bompard aurelien at bompard.org
Thu Oct 30 16:08:30 CET 2014

> So Aurelien and Florian, what do you think?  Should we use the hex
> representation of the UUID and should I keep backward compatibility.

If we can't see any valid reason for converting to ints today, I would
personally vote for not converting in the REST API, and for mailman.client
to return the UUID object (not the hex string), because I think a python
client library should expose python idoms and objects when possible.
If we do that, keeping backwards compatibility could be useful indeed, and
you can start from my change here:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~abompard/mailman.client/uuids/revision/58

But FYI, I have already adapted my code in HyperKitty to do the conversion
to UUIDs, so I really don't mind if we keep the status quo. Let's just do
what's best in the long run.

A.