[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Mailman CLI Project

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Fri May 30 15:24:17 CEST 2014

On Thu, 29 May 2014 22:30:25 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

>  > > Also maybe you can try making your tool a little more smart? Like lets
>  > > say I try to create a list abhilash at raj.com and there is no domain
>  > > raj.com in the database, so instead of just showing error maybe you can
>  > > ask the user:
>  > >
>  > > "The domain raj.com does not exist, Do you want to create one? [y/n]"
>
> I'm not sure I like this approach.  Creating a domain should be a
> heavyweight operation, and eventually should include a bunch of sanity
> checks, like existence of domains and MX records.  I have visions
> (nightmares) of users coming to us saying
>
>     User: I said yes, but mail never arrives.
>     Dev:  ....  Oh, is there a proper entry in the DNS?
>     User: Doesn't Mailman create the domain?

I agree to your point that it should be a heavyweight operation, I
guess i was not able to express myself. I don't know if this CLI client
can add domains to mailman(I mean add domain to mailman before and not
*create*), there could be a prompt saying "This mailman installation
is not configured to use this domain, do you want to do it now?" and
then maybe it will walk the user through the "usual" process of adding
a new domain?

--
thanks,
Abhilash Raj