[Mailman-Developers] Fixing DMARC problems with .invalid munge

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sat May 17 05:08:27 CEST 2014

In article <1856298671.144791.1400292991012.JavaMail.zimbra at peachymango.org> you write:
>The trouble with .invalid is that it is a domain that do not accept emails. Therefore why should you accept emails from a domain
>that does not allow you to reply to it?
>
>It is bound in the future to create issues when people move to more serious/ubiquitous domain reputation schemes.

Everyone I know who's tried to do spam filtering by SMTP callbacks to
verify sender addresses has stopped, for the dual reasons that it
doesn't work, and it's abusive.  I can't imagine why you think people
are likely to resume using it.  Considering the amount of mail I get
with non-replyable addresses like donotreply at bigbank.com, I'm not the
only person who doesn't think this is a problem.

Or if they do, it's easy enough to add domain suffixes that satisfy
whatever even more broken reputation scheme we need to defeat.

R's,
John