[Mailman-Developers] Fixing DMARC problems with .invalid munge

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 7 06:41:59 CEST 2014

John R Levine writes:

 > > Note that AOL and Yahoo! need to do this because they have
 > > ambitions of being e-commerce platforms, and so their domain
 > > names can be used to scam money out of people.
 >
 > We're deep enough into tin-foil hat territory here that we're
 > done. Should you want to know what AOL and Yahoo are actually
 > doing, see the most recent entry in my blog at http://jl.ly/

*shrug* I'm a business school professor, and do analysis like the
analysis behind my statement above for a living.  It's a fairly
obvious extension of my posts on use of DMARC by financial
institutions.  And it helps explain why GMail seems to be actively
dissenting, and Hotmail has not followed yet.  Those email providers
have a different approach to being portals, and use different trade
names for their financial activites to the extent that I am aware of
them.  I'm not going to yield on it quite yet.

So, call it "tin-foil hat territory" if you like.  Being an expert on
Internet business models doesn't make me *right*, but name-calling
isn't going to bother me.