[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Mailman CLI Project

Rajeev S rajeevs1992 at gmail.com
Sun May 4 05:01:18 CEST 2014

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Ah, OK, I see what you're getting at now.
>
> I think this is out of scope for the CLI project, although it's
> possible that providing some kind of scriptable interface (even a
> simple way to store a sequence of commands acting on the "current"
> list should suffice, where "current list" is a concept his proposal
> already includes) would allow it to be implemented relatively easily.
> I'll discuss that with Rajeev later.
>
> Still, I would expect that the "right" place to expose a "list style"
> capability is in Postorius.  Most list admins are not even going to
> have access to the CLI, most likely, because we have *no* security
> model for it yet, except shell access to the list host.  The CLI is
> going to be a "power user's" and sysadmin feature more than "the" way
> to manage lists for most people, AIUI.  (Again, this is negotiable
> with the student.)
Adding a list style attribute would be simple to implement, as Barry
had mentioned.
> Also, list "styles" probably should be "stored" in the Mailman core so
> they can be accessed from any client (which is what takes it right out
> of the scope of this GSoC IMO, although that's negotiable, again
> according to Rajeev's interest).
I have not concentrated much on the mailman core as it has
least to do with my proposal. All I have done with the mailman
core is to go through the table schema as it might be useful for
the command shell. However, I will give it a try.