[Mailman-Developers] URLs in notification messages

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Mar 11 16:01:58 CET 2014

On Mar 11, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>I wonder where this link is supposed to lead. I did not find such an
>endpoint in Postorius, and the Mailman REST API is not public anyway.
>Am I missing something?

Not really - you've noticed a holdover from Mailman 2.1 that hasn't been
completely ported to the new architecture.  I have an unfinished branch that
tries to fix this.

The basic problem is this: with the separation of web ui and core, the core
can't actually know a priori what those links will be, or even if there *are*
links.  So in my branch I actually remove all those links from the default
templates and rewrite as necessary to describe the email workflow.

Then, I add some configuration variables so that a system admin can specify
urls at which to download the appropriate templates.  This arrangement is
similar to the welcome message configurations, which allow you to specify how
the core will retrieve the appropriate message based on the mailing list *and*
language (this location supports a number of url schemes, including the
obvious http/https, but also file: and internal reference schemes for finding
templates in-tree).  Once a template is downloaded, it's cached.

This allows the site admin to design whatever template they want, for any list
or language, and the core will use it as needed.  A set of interpolation
variables are defined so you can fill in various placeholders.  Postorius
ultimately should ship with a number of default templates and we can provide
an example configuration file for using those default Postorius templates.

As I mentioned, this branch isn't yet complete, but I am still working on it.

Cheers,