[Mailman-Developers] Getting mentor attention [was: Mailman SNMP support]

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Tue Mar 11 07:04:25 CET 2014

On 2014-03-10, 8:55 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> First off, I saw you talked to Terri on IRC.  Much as I hate to burden
> Terri, that is the right thing to do if you're not getting attention
> to your proposal, especially from persons who proposed or volunteered
> to mentor it.  If at all possible, try to grab GSoC people on IRC (or
> by email) in the following order:

It is always ok to contact me!  Anyone, anytime!  The only thing I ask
is that if I tell you to contact someone else, you actually do that and
have at least one meaningful conversation with them before coming back
to me.  As Stephen says, I can be pretty swamped, so when I redirect
students to someone else, usually it's because I think they will be more
helpful than I can be at that time.    I don't want to be a bottleneck
for a student or mentor who's stuck on a problem and waiting for me, so
I do my best to refer you to the best person I can!

Just a quick correction on the list of people that Stephen posted:

The PSF GSoC Org admins are me, Florian and Meflin.

- I'm the one who makes final decisions about sub-orgs, slots, etc. and
oversees everything.
- Florian, on top of helping me as org admin (particularly with the
blogs), is the person in charge of Mailman's GSoC team.
- Meflin is running our IRC channel (#python-gsoc on freenode).  If you
have a question about GSoC or melange he's often the one to ask, and he
tries to be available on IRC as much as possible for quick questions.
While he's new to our team this year, he's a very experienced GSoC org
admin who I asked to join us this year to take some of the load off me
and Florian.

* Jessica is *not* a PSF org admin this year, but she *is* on the PSF
board.  If this were structured like a company, she'd be my boss.

That said, she is even more swamped than I am with Core Python (I think
she's running OPW in parallel with GSoC right now), so there is
basically no time mailman students should be talking to her.

If for any reason I am not responding as an org admin, you should talk
to Meflin, who as the person in the closest time zone and same country,
it's much easier for him to reach me out of band.

  Terri