[Mailman-Developers] Git mirror for mailman

Patrick Ben Koetter p at sys4.de
Sat Mar 8 13:33:18 CET 2014

Hi,

* Abhilash Raj <raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com>:
> Hi Patrick,

excuse my ignorance: Is Raj your first name or Abhilash?

> On Saturday 08 March 2014 12:37 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> > * Abhilash Raj <raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com>:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I was in a conversation with Barry yesterday to setup a unofficial git
> >> mirror for mailman since there are large number of people who use git as
> >> their primary vcs. I think it would encourage more people to contribute
> >> to mailman, if not through merge requests on lp, through small patches
> >> making of which is quite trivial in git I suppose.
> >>
> >> I am willing to maintain the mirror but I need I don't have a private
> >> server to host it. Anyone has ideas about how to setup? or already has a
> >> mirror running?
> >
> > How about this:
> >
> > <https://project.sys4.de/public/projects/python/mailman>
> >
> > Pulling should be easy:
> >
> >     git clone https://src.sys4.de/python/mailman.git
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> > Who will be the maintainer? That/these persons need an account and should
> > contact me so I can give them access.
>
> I am willing to be a maintainer. Also can you tell me how to maintain I
> haven't maintained a project like this before? Does a cron job needs to
> setup to pull periodically?

I will create an account for you and I will send the login data to you
offlist. Do you PGP or anything alike?

As for the workflow: Wars have been waged to etablish the right way [tm] to
do this. I suggest whatever we do, make it easy to adopt or people will turn
away because they need to spend too much work on project administration.

The mailman repo is public. Anyone can pull a copy from it. If they want to
contribute code/docs/..., they have to submit a merge request at
<https://project.sys4.de/python/mailman/merge_requests>.

Then its up to one of the developers to look at the new code and then to
decide whether it should be merged or not. It's up to a developer or any more
privileged role to conduct the actual merge.

As for pulling: To my knowledge it is best practise to pull before you begin
your work. Of course one should create a branch and work in that, so the code
won't interfere with other changes, while you work on it.

p at rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64