[Mailman-Developers] Gsoc idea discussions : Continuous integration tool

varun sharma varunsharmalive at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 06:27:10 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 7:14 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>wrote:

> varun sharma writes:
>
>  > Can i use buildbot for the server part and integrate it with
>  > frontend suite ?
>
> This is way too compact to understand what you're proposing.  If you
> mean "configure a buildbot to build and test Mailman 3", and that's
> it, no.  This is Google Summer of *Code*, and you have to write a
> substantial piece of code.
>
> If we can't figure out what you're proposing, your proposal will not
> be adopted, no matter how much we want the feature.  Please read
>
>     http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Blog/SPAM.txt
>
> for some hints on how the proposal process works.  Most of this is not
> yet applicable to your proposal, it's more about the completed
> proposal.  But it will give you an idea of where you need to be headed.
>
> At this stage, you need to be clear about the *requirements* you
> propose to satisfy, so that we can evaluate your proposed *design*.
> These can be very rough (the sentence quoted above is about half of
> what you need for design *at this stage*; the other half is an
> explanation of what the "frontend suite" is and how they will be
> connected).  But "Continuous integration tool" is not even close to
> specifying requirements.  What is your tool going to do?
>
> Your full proposal will need to be more detailed -- we need to be able
> to estimate how much code you need to write, which means a fair amount
> of detail about the requirements, at least.  We need a couple of
> intermediate milestones, so that we can evaluate your progress at
> midterm.  We expect to be working with you over the next couple of
> weeks to refine your proposal.  (Occasionally students deliver a full
> proposal out of the blue, but that's very rare.)

Sorry, if i wasn't clear enough but from frontend suite i meant the command
line interface that is going to check for the integrity before the commit
(i.e mm_gatekeeper on developer's machine). I was trying to say that: Is it
possible if i write the command line interface myself by adding all the
unit tests for all the projects to be involved in the integration suite and
let buildbot handle the build testing part ?
The work that i am expecting to do in this project is:
1. Write a python module mm_gatekeeper that will handle all the integration
tests for all the projects involved in the mailman suite on the developer
machine before commit.
2. Forking buildbot for adding build testing from the repository and
tweaking the buildbot code to meet our requirements.

So, this will be a combination of both the functionalities that we were
discussing (local + repo).

>  > I tested buildbot on postorius
>
> Again, I have no idea what you're trying to say here.  Postorius is
> not a platform for running buildbot.  What does this mean?
>
> I deployed buildbot with aws ec2 on postorius independently by adding repo
of postorius_standalone at http://dev.sharmalabs.com:8010 and
added the commands that are required to run the unit tests.