[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Cordova/Android App for GNU Mailman Admin Interface

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Sun Mar 2 07:18:14 CET 2014

On 2014-02-28, 7:36 AM, Bhargav Golla wrote:
> I have a few questions regarding this idea.
> 1. I intend to develop it on Cordova since it will help in porting the app
> easily to multiple platforms. Were there any ideas in this directions
> regarding going native or hybrid?

Personally, I'd prefer if we went hybrid and had an html5 webapp that
could be used straight over the web for mobile users who don't want to
install an app, with Cordova used to build the individual platform
apps.  I may not be the mentor on this one, though, so I'm happy to
defer to whoever the final mentor is on this front.

Incidentally, I've been using Intel's XDK for building Cordova apps
lately and highly recommend it for quick testing on various platforms
and screen sizes.  I've found it a very useful tool, and not just
because I work for Intel now!
> 2. Can I assume that all mailing lists built by Mailman support the REST
> interface? Also, I have tried to see if I can get JSON responses and I am
> unable to by adding a HTTP Accept Header to take "application/json". Am I
> doing anything wrong or is JSON not implemented?

I don't know the answer to this off the top of my head: Barry?

> 3. As a starter, could I ignore internationalization for GSoC, but
> implement interface in such a way as to be able to internationalize it
> easily?

We don't expect you to actually translate anything, don't worry. :) But
you should definitely build as much as possible so that
internationalization will be easy: make sure there's a quick way to get
a list of strings that need translation, at least.  Some of the strings
may be already translated in other components of Mailman, so you may be
able to get some translations to use to test if you have time at the end
of the summer for internationalization.

  Terri