[Mailman-Developers] GSoC updates till midterm

varun sharma varunsharmalive at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 09:13:08 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

This will be my second update email to mm-dev after gsoc started, i'll be
sending weekly summaries in the future. The ci-tool(please suggest some
nice name) is almost finished, i need few more days to get it working on
multiple projects under mailman suite. The following parts of ci-tool are
working:

./ci-tool --pull project_name
./ci-tool --pull all

./ci-tool --test project_name
./ci-tool --test all

./ci-tool --try project_name

The projects under the mailman suite are listed in a config file(currently
settings.py) which contains the a dict projects which has further
dictionaries to store attributes like path, vcs, src location.

For parsing the commands form the command line, i have used argparse module
and while implementation of commands, i have created two different files:
commands.py and utils.py. In commands, i've declared the classes for
various commands like pull, test and try and for making a tcp connection
via twisted, two more classes for Client and Factory. In utils.py, i've
tried to declare the error classes which i'll be able to differentiate
easily and a logging class.

The most interesting command in this whole tool is the 'try' command, which
will take the diff of the project and send it to the server to test it on
the server and run all the tests on different installations (in this case i
am using buildbot's slaves). I am able to send the diff to server and test
it on a single server and now working on how to send the patches for
multiple projects of suite, in case the developer is working on multiple
projects(like postorius and hyperkitty) at the same time.

That's all for the status report, i have to say that whatever i've done
won't be possible without the help of my awesome mentors: florian,
stylistica, steve and maxking. The source of my project is available at
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~varun/mailman/ci_tool/files. I try to remain
active on #mailman and #mailman-gsoc for most of the daytime under nick
'varun'.

Thanks
Varun