[Mailman-Developers] SUBMIT and OpenID, was Two more DMARC mitigations

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jun 18 03:34:26 CEST 2014

John Levine writes:

 >> Thinking about it this way, I'm not really sure what's being
 >> considered for DMARC, ...
 >
 > Nothing specifically for DMARC.

Yeah, I got that far.

 > OAuth just avoids the need to ask the user directly for her
 > password.  Once you have access to the subscriber's submit server,
 > you can run the decorated message through it to get the mail
 > providers's signature, then remail that.

This is potentially a lot of remailing, though.  Somebody who has been
posting twice a day to a mailing list with 1000 subscribers suddenly
goes from 10 outgoing messages a day to 2008.  I suppose this is just
a drop in the bucket for the MTAs, but I wonder if the mailbox
providers will really go for this given their sensitivity to taking
responsibility for anything (except keeping spam out of their users'
mailboxes).