[Mailman-Developers] SUBMIT and OpenID, was Two more DMARC mitigations

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Tue Jun 17 23:35:42 CEST 2014

On Jun 17, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Were we (on dmarc at ietf) talking all along about OpenID when we wrote
>"OAuth"?  They're different, although I don't know exactly how or why
>(and neither RFC made obvious mention of the other :-( ).

I haven't been keeping up with the latest OpenID and OAuth specs, but one way
I think about it is that OAuth is a web-service delegation protocol, while
OpenID is more of a single-sign-on protocol.

Let's say you have a web service, like, oh I don't know, Mailman 3's REST
API.  You want to script some interactions with this service, perhaps locally,
or you want to allow some other application to do it on your behalf.
Normally, you'd have to hard code your username and password in some local
file, or enter it into the third party app.  With OAuth, you can acquire a
token from the service which is used to sign requests, so that the service
knows it's coming from you.  Thus you can hand the third party application
your token without giving it your password, and most services provide you a
way to revoke tokens if you e.g. stop using the third party app.  Usually, you
round-trip through a web browser (the only "trusted agent" on your system) to
acquire the token, but there can be other ways.

OpenID is more like a single-sign-on technology.  Let's say you want to log
into Bitbucket for the first time, but you don't want to have to register yet
another username and password with yet another web site.  Fortunately, you
have a Launchpad account, which is an OpenID provider, so on Bitbucket's login
page you enter your OpenID, which is an https url pointing to your Launchpad
page.  After some dancing with Launchpad and Ubuntu's SSO, Bitbucket logs you
in.  The point is that Bitbucket doesn't have access to your Launchpad
password - it delegates authentication to Ubuntu's SSO and Launchpad, which as
it turns out can also be made to require two-factor auth for additional
security.

Thinking about it this way, I'm not really sure what's being considered for
DMARC, although either make some sense in different contexts.  My guess is
that it's probably OAuth based; I'd get a token to submit messages via a web
service using authenticated and signed requests.  But that's just a guess.