[Mailman-Developers] Two more DMARC mitigations

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jun 13 00:02:09 CEST 2014

Jim Popovitch writes:
 > On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:18 AM, John Levine <johnl at taugh.com> wrote:
 >
 > > * Forwarding signature
 >
 > It seems to me that a non-DMARC subdomain, for users, would be easier and
 > better for all..

No, the mailbox providers already can do that and it's not because
they were caught with their shorts down that they didn't.  They really
really mean "p=reject" for users.  A senior admin at Yahoo! was very
clear on damrc at ietf that they want their vanilla users covered by
"p=reject" because the threat model (which is not phishing, it's
"recommended by friend" spam) involves user mailboxes.

She also said that (as of a week ago) the attack based on stolen
contact lists was continuing to flood their incoming MXes, despite
over a month of "p=reject" (contrary to AOL's claims that "p=reject"
stopped the attack).  No explanation has been given why the spammers
are continuing to spend their resources on the attack.

 > > * Submit and sign
 > >

 > Oh god, NO!

Oh, c'mon, Jim.  This is just the evil kind of thing we *want* to do
to AOL!