[Mailman-Developers] Users in MM3

Dick Visser visser at terena.org
Tue Jun 10 16:56:32 CEST 2014

Hi

I'm looking for a new mailing list manager, and one of the
requirements is that it has a web interface, and that it can use SAML
authentication.
Looking at MM3, I see that there are several options for running the
web interface, one of them is Apache & mod_proxy.
We already have had positive experiences with mod_mellon (which adds
SAML authentication), and another web application (Atlassian
Confluence), which sounds like a similar set-up, so I think this could
be made to work with MM3 as well.
The only issue I'm having is that our current IDM system is build
around the concept of identifying users by ID, in our case an integer.
My Python knowledge is pretty basic, but from
src/mailman/model/user.py it looks like MM3 users are also identified
by an id.
That would be great, because then Apache with mod_mellon could
authenticate a user and populate HTTP headers with the user id, and
then MM3 could pick that up.

Am I assuming the right things?

PS, I'm asking because I've looked at another mailing list manager as
well, but that seemed to using the e-mail address as the user
identifier, which rendered it useless for us...

Thanks!!!

--
Dick Visser
System & Networking Engineer