[Mailman-Developers] Thinking about list footers

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jun 4 10:23:14 CEST 2014

Murray S. Kucherawy writes:

 > We didn't intend for this to be used by MUAs, however, so to some degree
 > they're doing what we expected.

I know, but I think it's time for the IETF to recognize that email
fraud cannot be fought if the receiving end of "end-to-end" doesn't go
all the way through the eyeballs, optic nerve, and into the wetware.
(Maybe we need an April 1 RFC for neural transport of IP packets
first?)

 > I'm trying to figure out if that would be useful at all, but it
 > sounds like MUAs are the showstopper there.

I sure don't want to give up!  Some huge fraction of users must use
GMail, Yahoo! mail, AOL, Hotmail, or Outlook for their MUAs.  And that
should cover the vast majority of "Most Likely to Fall for a Phishing
Attack" users.  Not that "vast majority" is anything to write home to
mother about, but it's a very good start.  With Comcast and a couple
of others taking potshots at Yahoo!, I'd think the big ESPs are
probably ready to take MUA improvement seriously.  (Starting with
protecting addressbooks, of course, but HCI stuff too I hope.)

Where is Dave Hayes when we so desperately need his AI newsreader?

Steve