[Mailman-Developers] Adding CSS to mailman archives

Andrew Daviel advax at triumf.ca
Thu Jul 3 03:27:50 CEST 2014

A little while ago (November 2012 probably) I changed a mailing list from
Hypermail to Mailman and wanted to keep some of the look-and-feel of the
archives, e.g. background colour and fonts.
So I patched mailman 2.1.9 in CentOS 5 to include a CSS stylesheet link in
each generated HTML page, replacing e.g.
<BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"> with just  <body>
and adding e.g.
body {background-color: #ffffff ; color: black; }
in /pipermail/mailman.css, so that HTML style such as FONT and SIZE is
removed from the Python code.
(I only have one list on that server and didn't implement per-list style)
I also changed a few things e.g. content-type to get zero warnings and
errors from the W3C online validator.

Now if I want to get DMARC functionality I'll have to jump past the
RedHat/CentOS release and build 2.1.18, and re-patch for CSS.

I was wondering if there was any interest in incorporating CSS into the
official releases.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)