[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Cordova/Android App for GNU Mailman Admin Interface

Bhargav Golla bgolla at g.clemson.edu
Fri Feb 28 16:36:33 CET 2014

Hello all

Congrats to Mailman on being selected as a mentor organization under PSF.

I am Bhargav Golla, a graduate student in Computer Science at Clemson
University, US. I am an avid mobile and web app developer. I worked on
Phonegap apps during GSoC 2012 and GSoC 2013 with Apache Software
Foundation and have developed many Windows Phone apps. The native android
app I developed for Exotel (a startup in cloud telephony in India) is still
being actively used by Exotel's clientele of over 1000 firms. My Github
account[1] will provide much more details about my developer expertise. I
am particularly interested in Cordova/Android app for Admin interface idea.

I have a few questions regarding this idea.
1. I intend to develop it on Cordova since it will help in porting the app
easily to multiple platforms. Were there any ideas in this directions
regarding going native or hybrid?
2. Can I assume that all mailing lists built by Mailman support the REST
interface? Also, I have tried to see if I can get JSON responses and I am
unable to by adding a HTTP Accept Header to take "application/json". Am I
doing anything wrong or is JSON not implemented?
3. As a starter, could I ignore internationalization for GSoC, but
implement interface in such a way as to be able to internationalize it
easily?

I would be very much obliged if I am provided with answers to these
questions and whatever questions that may arise in future as they will help
me in writing a good proposal and in turn get chosen to work with Mailman.

[1] http://github.com/bhargavgolla

Regards

--
Bhargav Golla